Art Explora is a non-profit organisation with the international ambition to make art accessible to everyone. In partnership with the French Fine Arts Academy, and placed under the patronage of the French Ministry of Culture, Art Explora is launching a European award to promote sharing art and culture with one another.
There are already many initiatives which introduce new audiences to the arts and culture. Now, Art Explora wants to give a real boost to these innovative practices.
With a fund of €150,000, this first edition of the Art Explora – Académie des Beaux-arts European Award, in 2020, will reward 3 winners:
- 1st Prize : 80 000 €
- 2nd Prize : 50 000 €
- 3rd Prize : 20 000 €
Art Explora will unveil the official selection of the best projects and give them visibility. Once the price is awarded, and for the exchange of best practices, Art Explora will feature the selected projects on its website and ensure a communication through the European press. Applications for the 2020 edition are closed since September 25th. The jury will meet at the end of October to select the winners.
Who is it for?
This award is open to all European cultural institutions, public or private, whatever their size.
What are we looking for?
The Art Explora & Académie des Beaux-Arts European Award will support and amplify proactive, innovative or particularly remarkable actions carried out by cultural institutions engaging the broadest possible audience. All specific actions or global approaches will be welcome: digital innovation, external activities, inclusion of people with disabilities, fight against cultural exclusion, new mediations, cultural awakening for young audiences, programmes for excluded audiences…
Eligible initiatives include existing projects that need to be renewed or expanded, and new projects that could be launched with funding.
Particularly close attention will be played to projects making use of digital technology and controlling their environmental impact.
- Opening date for applications: March 9th 2020
- Closing date for applications: September 25th 2020
- Award ceremony at the Institut de France: fall 2020
All of the entries will be examined by a pre-selection committee who will submit the successful applications to the award-giving jury.
The award jury will be made up of 12 members, half nominated by Art Explora and the other half members of the Académie des beaux-arts:The jury
- Agnès Alfandari, digital director at the French Institut
- Anna Somers Cocks, journalist, founder of The Art Newspaper
- Laurent Gaveau, head of the Google Arts & Culture Lab
- Frédéric Jousset, president and founder of Art Explora
- Sam Stourdzé, director of Villa Medici
- Marie-Cécile Zinsou, president of the Zinsou Foundation
- Patrick de Carolis, director of the Paul Marmottan Foundation
- Blanca Li, choreographer
- Henri Loyrette, former director of the Louvre Museum
- Muriel Mayette-Holtz, director of the Nice National theater
- Jean-Michel Othoniel, contemporary artist
- Jean-Michel Wilmotte, architect
It will select the 3 winners and will also award the Foundation’s gold medal, specially designed by the Monnaie de Paris, to a personality who has particularly distinguished himself through his commitment to opening the arts and culture to the greatest audience.